Thursday, May 7, 2009

Sipping TEA. Living LIFE. RAINBOW CONNECTION. An ODE to my DAD.









DAD, I espied this elderly man in the park at the close of evening.

He was sitting on the public bench, staring blankly into space.

He looked really desolate and lonely.

Maybe I was mistaken. But did I not see his right hand reaching for his eyes to brush away a tear or two?

Did someone in his family abuse him and hurt his pride?

Was not this man once-upon-a-time the breadwinner in his family?

There was this aura of melancholy around him that was so intense and piercing.

The evening atmosphere was marked with a dead silence and there was something unearthly calm about this place.

It was really kind of eerie.

This old man reminded me of you, DAD.

His battered looks and demeanor, there are so much semblances.

What happened to the both of us, DAD?

I was constantly traveling in my job and I neglected you, because I have my own life and career.

I forgot that you once nurtured me and gave me bread.

I forgot that, as a child, you'd buy me the most expensive books to instill in me a love for reading.

Because you told me that you were illiterate and that you wouldn't want me to grow up to be like you.

We were poor then but my platter was always full, as you'd saved the pounds for me and kept the pennies for yourself.

In school when my classmates would belittle our poverty, I became ashamed of you and wondered why we could not be wealthy as they were.

I would storm home and stared "daggers" at you for being so incompetent as a father.

I was rude, proud and ungrateful.

I was the epitome of a devil, caring only for myself and no one else.

DAD, as my eyes met those of that old man in the park, those eyes spoke volumes.

I remembered your favorites song, THE RAINBOW CONNECTION.

It was the signature hit of your much-loved MUPPET SHOW on television.

I don't know why I feel the urgency to play this song THE RAINBOW CONNECTION tonight.

It is such a lovely and mystical song, DAD, with those meaningful lyrics.

DAD, as the song is being played, I am re-living the memory of this scene where the old man is rising from his seat and walking towards me in the park.

I had met his gaze and tried to force a smile.

But that smile froze upon my lips.

DAD, you died suddenly when I was working overseas on a project, and I was at a location where the communication network could not reach me.

I did not even attend or preside over your funeral, as any filial son should. Because I did not know you had passed.

I wish I was there to spend more time with you, DAD.

I was cold, selfish and terribly ungrateful - these are my misdeeds.

All my life I have not treasured you and took you so much for granted.

I am filled with remorse now for being stupidly self-centered.

One day I may be punished by this thing called KARMA.

But whatever it is, as I am sipping this tea and living the nomadic life that I am leading, I want this RAINBOW CONNECTION to connect us once more.

And DAD, I do miss you.

Your face, your care and your words.

I wish I had listened to you umpteen times, but I never gave you the chance.

For parents love their children no matter what the parent is forced to do in the best interest of the child.

There is a special bond that is forged when a human being comes into relationship with a child.

A bond that is not even taken away by death as this bond lives in the child, no matter how old that "child" becomes.

And I wish I had known then.


RAINBOW CONNECTION Lyrics:

"Why are there so many songs about rainbows,

And what's on the other side?

Rainbows are visions, but only illusions,

And rainbows have nothing to hide.

So we've been told and some choose to believe it,

I know they're wrong, wait and see.

Someday we'll find it, the RAINBOW CONNECTION,

The lovers, the dreamers and me.

Who said that every wish would be heard and answered

when wished on the morning star?

Somebody thought of that

and someone believed it,

and look what it's done so far,

What's so amazing that keeps us stargazing?

And what do you think we might see?

Someday we'll find it, the RAINBOW CONNECTION

the lovers, the dreamers and ME.

All of us under its spell,

We know that it's probably magic ....

Have you been half asleep?

and have you heard voices?

I've heard them calling my name.

Is this the sweet sound that calls the young sailors?

The voice might be one and the same.

I've heard it too many times to ignore it.

It's something that I'm supposed to be,

Someday we'll find it, the RAINBOW CONNECTION,

the lovers, the dreamers and ME.

la, la, la, la, la, la, la, la........la, la. laaaaaaaaa ...."

No comments:

Post a Comment