Sunday, May 10, 2015

WE LOVE OUR MOTHERS, Don't We?

LYDIA SUM AND DAUGHTER

 THIS IS A VINTAGE 2008 ARTICLE. It had been written to  commemorate the late LYDIA SUM and her living daughter JOYCE CHENG.

The years have rolled by, but the tearful memories remain.

Here’s a BELATED tribute to a comedian we had loved so dearly. 

HAPPY MOTHER’S DAY 2015!

With the passing of LYDIA SUM, her teenage daughter JOYCE CHENG now begins her courageous return to total independence.

Never easy, adjusting to the pain of heartbreak on losing a mother-cum-confidante so dear.

Not a smooth journey of healing either, but life has to go on.

It’s a known fact that LYDIA had always showered her affection for her daughter when she was alive,

and past televised clips of the famous mother-and-daughter display of adoration in public genuinely warm our hearts.

There is no greater love on earth than the love of a mother.

Isn’t it?

In her tearful eulogy to her mother, JOYCE CHENG enunciated that “Have you seen a shooting star? No? Well, they are very rare. When they appear, they are so brilliant, so bright. You are my shooting star, Mum.”

George Eliot, British novelist once wrote that ‘life began with waking up loving my mother’s face’.

I remembered vividly now that I used to defy my hapless mother during my primary school days.

I was disobedient, rebellious and headstrong and brought tons of problems to my family.

How I loathed my mother and thought of her hating me too.

But one decade later, when the business that I had set up went on a tailspin due to management chaos, and many of my so-called wonderful friends forsook me, it was my mother who stood by me.

By then, I was just too shameful and perplexed to think properly.

Didn’t someone once said that ‘a mother is a bank where we deposit all our hurts and worries’?

How true, I finally realized.

A mother’s love is like an island in life’s ocean

A peaceful, quiet shelter

From the wind, the rain, the tide,

‘Tis bound on the North by Hope.

By Patience on the West

By tender Counsel on the South

And East by Rest.

Above it like a beacon light,

Shine FAITH and TRUTH and PRAYER

And through the changing scenes of life

I find a HAVEN there.

Let us not take our mothers for granted.

Lest it is too late for regrets.

No comments:

Post a Comment