Tuesday, October 23, 2012

BYRON PANG [彭罡原] shows you that “Everybody is Kung Fu Fighting!”

K TEAM credits PATRICK LAM for capturing stunning moments of actor BYRON PANG in ACTION.

This PICTORIAL feature is a COLLABORATION between the K TEAM PRODUCTIONS group andPATRICK LAM PHOTOGRAPHY (Hong Kong).

BYRON PANG.

New Kid on the block.

He’s ASIA’s latest Fight Actor and Stunt Choreographer.

To start off with, let’s ROCK to the RHYTHM

and DANCE to the beat of an old familiar hit:

“EVERYBODY is KUNG FU FIGHTING!”

Yeah, that’s the inimitable BYRON PANG!

BYRON PANG 彭罡原

 His own STORY on KUNG FU FIGHTING 

These days he’d prefer to be known for his fighting skills.

He has traveled the long road  and had worked on a gamut of action roles, ranging from an invincible SWORDSMAN to a SHAOLIN MONK.

He had received focus training in the art of WUSHU for more than 10 years and is still on the go.

He speaks impeccable MANDARIN  (a clear TAIWANESE accent), ENGLISH, and naturally, CANTONESE.

The real BYRON PANG?

“I relish a true sense of adventure.

I am hungry for danger.

I love competitive sports such as Martial Arts (Wushu), parachuting, bungee jumping, mountain climbing, mountain biking, car racing and deep sea diving. You name it, I might have tried them all.”

  1. 1.          How did you first step into the world of show business? Are there any memorable first jobs?

Well, I was a contestant in Mr. Hong Kong 2005, where I won the runner-up position. It wasn’t a job, but it was certainly a memorable experience for me.

  1. 2.          Were there any mentors who helped you along the way?

I think without a doubt, Scud has been an important influence on my film career. Not only did he give me my first big break in film, the character of Kafka in Amphetamine has been one of the most challenging and fulfilling role for me. I am very thankful and honoured to be able to continue working with such a visionary director like Scud.

  1. 3.          Actors sometimes have to tackle difficult or complex roles. Which was the first really challenging character you’ve had to portray? And which was the most satisfying?

As mentioned, Kafka in Amphetamine has been my watershed role. It was not only physically challenging, but I think that audiences will also be able to empathize deeply with the character I played, and the trials and tribulations he had to endure.

  1. 4.          How important or useful is the Director’s insight when you are playing these intricate roles?

Scud has been an incredible revelation in how I play my roles. He challenged me to push myself to the limits, to do the things I never would have dreamt of doing. If not for Scud, I would not become the actor that I am today.

  1. 5.          How do you usually go about developing or establishing a character’s traits?

The director will of course give me a deep insight into my character’s role and personality, but every actor will need to put their own thoughts and feelings into the characters we play – to make the character our own. After all, it is my face that’s going to be on film. I don’t just become my character, I feel what my character goes through in the story, then react as my own person would react. I become the character – the character becomes me.

  1. 6.          As audiences, it is vital that we sympathize or relate to film characters on some level. How important is it for an actor to empathize with the characters they are playing?

If we do not try to understand our character, then we don’t deserve to play the role. How can I possibly act out an emotion if I cannot imagine how my character expresses it?

  1. 7.          What steps do you take in order to do that?

I try to find out as much as I can about the character I’m playing. Everything from the background, history and motivations for the role. Thankfully, a good director like Scud will often help me to understand my role better, and give me suggestions for how to express myself in the role I play.

  1. 8.          Are there any roles you’ve taken that were hard or just impossible to relate to?

Not really. Maybe in my early career, when some of the roles I took on were more stereotypical. You don’t really get attached to those kind of roles – they’re more like a job to get done. In my bigger roles, I am lucky to have a good director to guide me along the way.

  1. 9.          Is there a particular direction you wish to take in terms of your acting career?

I have always had a strong background in martial arts, so I would see myself focusing on more action-oriented roles. I am also very interested in and have been doing some martial arts and stunt choreography. My first love is still acting of course.

  1. 10.          Have you ever thought about branching out? Maybe to direct, produce, or write your own projects?

I guess it’s still too early to say, but never say never. My interest in martial arts though means that I will be working on developing martial arts and stunt choreography for some future films. In fact, I have already been asked. We’ll have to see how that takes off though.

  1. 11.          Where do you see yourself five years from now?

Hopefully on the world stage as a recognized character actor and action star? Who knows? But one thing for sure is that I’ll be constantly pushing myself to achieve more in my career. I will not be afraid to take on new, and even more challenging and controversial roles if necessary.

LIFE is FULL of unexpected DAUNTLESS TASKS.

I embrace POSITIVISM. I do it my way.

I’ll never say die.

WHATEVER it takes, HERE I COME !


No comments:

Post a Comment